Monday, November 7, 2011

Independent Reading Reflection

I think this book was great. I really liked this book because it was really descriptive and put a good mental picture of what was happening in the readers head. I think Remarque did a wonderful job of capturing World War I and the 'Lost' generation. I do think some parts were kind of slow, especially when the main protagonist moved farther away from the Front, but this was necessary to show how war changes depending on where the fighters were. The soldiers' plight is a deep message and inspires readers to be thankful. I really am happy that I will never go through the agony that these brave men faced. The unfortunate troubles of war and the violence that it entails will stick with these men forever. I suggest giving this book to anyone who enjoys reading about history and horrible circumstance. This book would be a good read especially if you like A Farewell to Arms, For Whom Bell Tolls, and Johnny Got his Gun. They all deal with the struggles of individuals who fight our war. An issue between war-makers and war-fighters is always an informative topic, because people who cause wars never fight them. They only sit back and watch as catastrophe occurs and more young men have to face the terror of death. The book leaves you with suspense as you don't know who will die next, but also desensitizes you to death, just as the soldiers were during the fight. If you like reading of graphic pain, this book will definitely be enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment